On summer days, ice cream is the perfect dessert to finish off a meal or have as a snack. The other day my friend, Yaejin, made us black tea affogato to satisfy our sweet tooth. Affogato is traditionally made by pouring a shot of hot espresso over cold vanilla ice cream or gelato. If you are not a coffee person or just simply like trying different flavors, this version of affogato is perfect for you.
ingredients: 6 black tea bags or loose leaf black tea, hot water, vanilla ice cream
1. steep the black tea in 16 oz hot boiling water for about 4 minutes
2. split the tea into two portions
3. for one half of the tea, pour it into a pot and add sugar and reduce down to a syrup, let it cool
4. scoop the ice cream into a bowl and drizzle with syrup
5. pour the rest of the hot black tea to your preference
This recipe can be modified to be used with different teas and ice cream! How fun! I can’t wait to try this with matcha next time.